Renovation of the Presidential Palace
The Presidential Palace in Helsinki’s Empire centre was built in 1820 to serve as a merchant residence. In the mid-19th century the Russian Tsar assigned C.L. Engel to rebuild the residence as his Imperial Palace in Helsinki. It became the Finnish presidential residence in 1921. A puzzle of spaces designed by various architects for varied purposes, the renovated palace is a showpiece in Finnish restoration expertise. The architects successfully spotlighted the 19th century architecture whilst future-proofing it with technical upgrades, including reinforcement of the foundations. The main banquet rooms have been restored as closely as possible to their 19th century appearance, while the offices were boldly modernized. New HVAC technology is elegantly concealed in the structures. Lighting, acoustics and accessibility were improved through subtle modifications. Through bold experimentation, the team refined their approach based on trial and error.
Sponsor of the Finnish Architecture. Biennial review 2016 and collaborator in the construction of this project: