House of Culture Renovation

Principal selection 2014

Description

Alvar Aalto’s sculptural landmark from 1958 still serves its original function. The concert hall and intermediate section continue to provide a versatile venue for cultural events, conferences and lectures, and the office wing houses the National Board of Antiquities. This is a very good example of a successful and inspiring renovation: the building looks as it originally did, despite the fact that all technical installations have been totally renewed, vertical accesses added, light fixtures renovated and doors changed. All the new equipment has been retrofitted with the utmost discretion.

Jenny B. Osuldsen

Facts

Completion: 2013
Gross Area: 10600m2

Map